Playing Netflix on PS3, Wii, Xbox

Diablo 2, Wii, Xbox, RTS, FPS, etc.
Taze
One of Us! One of Us!

Playing Netflix on PS3, Wii, Xbox

Postby Taze » 01 Apr 2009, 20:10

I have found some much success with this, that I am posting it.
Currently Xbox has a built in system to play netflix, which requires not only your monthly netflix cost but also a Xbox membership Live cost.

However with a one time $30 purchase of http://www.themediamall.com/playon which has a 14 day trial you can watch netflix on either system PS3, Wii, Xbox without the membership fee's to go on Xbox Live.

It works great got it setup and running here, been watching Hulu and netflix and other stuff.

there apparently is a free program called TVersity, however it looks like a technical nightmare, this PlayON one is very very easy to run and configure, the TVersity one supposedly does more stuff, but the PlayON one has addon plugins too, and the Scripts you have to run on the TVersity just make it look like a mess. It looks more for running your downloaded pirated videos that Windows Media Center wont play, on your PS3 or Xbox, like .MKV files and wiered stuff you get from torrents.

edit - Ok so fyi this is all Soleira's fault, for bragging about watching netflix on Xbox, and I couldn't do it on my Playstation 3, and I couldn't stand to be outdone.
Forum has lost my sig twice now...
Playing SOTA with Jeeks, Naka, Galos and Wife
Playing Neverwinter With Liyandra on her Satellite I-Nets
Not playing much else, due to SOTA Early Release

Soleira
One of Us! One of Us!

Re: Playing Netflix on PS3, Wii, Xbox

Postby Soleira » 01 Apr 2009, 20:22

My xbox streaming movies is still better....because it's mine 8)

havoq
Necrosis Officer

Postby havoq » 03 Apr 2009, 13:44

I love the streaming Netflix. I really only use it on my computer though since my Xbox360 died a while ago. I will have to give it a try on my PS3 though. Never thought to do that.

Taze
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Taze » 04 Apr 2009, 09:43

Also - something i just found
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/
The PS3 java media Server, allows you to share your folders to the playstation very easily, and allows you to play odd files (this thing blows TVersity away in reliability and ease of use) like my .mkv downloaded japanese animae and stuff, it runs at same time as PlayON as well, so it kicks a bit of ass imo, I've caught the streaming video bug. I was able to share my folder with my 300 some odd naruto files and with a few codecs added, played like a charm.

I will say if you have the xbox the Xbox+netflix is a lot better then Playon+ps3+netflix, the PS3 doesnt have that good of buffer ram fpr streaming and the search/scan features suck you can go normal speed 1.5 speed and 10x speed, but you run it out of buffer and it hangs and you have to redo, its quite silly, theres no 2x 4x speed. So some understanding and patience is in order, but you don't have to pay a monthly fee, and I dont have an xbox360.

codec packs if your a video pirate, or a insane odd video file downloaded (aka animae junkie) IMO its not pirating if i can not buy it in US and most likely never will be able to!.
Install FFDshow FIRST then install the MKV one, this will cover almost any codec you need to play files over Playon, TVersity, PS3 Media Center, Windows Media Center

FFDSHOW http://free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
Matroska (.mkv) http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Haa ... litter.htm

note: WMC will share a lot of these, but tbh, well sucks, in speed, and well its is a horrid mess to sort through just to find your file on the PS3 stuff is burried 4-6 contex menus deep for stupid labeling reasons. And the video quality isnt as good cause it uses its own codecs > faster better ones the other media centers will attempt to use first
Forum has lost my sig twice now...
Playing SOTA with Jeeks, Naka, Galos and Wife
Playing Neverwinter With Liyandra on her Satellite I-Nets
Not playing much else, due to SOTA Early Release

Neeps
Site Admin

Postby Neeps » 04 Apr 2009, 20:10

I tried tvers.ty to my 360 once, it worked fine, bit of a fiddle to setup but my main beef with it was the 360's video navigation system is _shit_. I have 3tb+ of movies/tv shows downloaded and it insisted on listing them all in one 10,000 item list for me to scroll thru lol.

Chipped an xbox1 and installed xbmc, works like a charm, lets me navigate my folder structure on my fileserver flawlessly and plays anything/everything I want.
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Return to “Other Games”