Dragon Age

Diablo 2, Wii, Xbox, RTS, FPS, etc.
Sirex
One of Us! One of Us!

Dragon Age

Postby Sirex » 28 Nov 2009, 18:50

Anyone give this game a try - which system? Any good? Worth getting/renting, pirating? lol.

Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Re: Dragon Age

Postby Mishura Desante » 29 Nov 2009, 03:19

Xbox 360 - played through it twice - great game - good solid 30 hours of gameplay
Worth the buy - if you liked mass effect, SW:KOTOR, you'll like this game as it plays very similar
Fleet Admiral Mishura Desante
@Asherax

Taze
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Taze » 29 Nov 2009, 11:09

Mishura (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))Xbox 360 - played through it twice - great game - good solid 30 hours of gameplay
Worth the buy - if you liked mass effect, SW:KOTOR, you'll like this game as it plays very similar

yeah wonder if its out for ps3, but ty for the reference
Forum has lost my sig twice now...
Playing SOTA with Jeeks, Naka, Galos and Wife
Playing Neverwinter With Liyandra on her Satellite I-Nets
Not playing much else, due to SOTA Early Release

ahimah
Site Admin

Postby ahimah » 29 Nov 2009, 16:09

Available for PS3, Xbox 360 & PC. I've heard rave reviews about it, but will probably skip it.

Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Mishura Desante » 29 Nov 2009, 16:21

A few interesting things about the game

1) Dialog options change based on race/class/gender, and passed actions can affect future actions (btw, being good all the time does have some negative consequences down the road, gives you some incentive to play as an asshole)

2) the game can be solo'd (Except where it requires you to have a party member). Stealth (rogue) is fairly pointless unless you're soloing, then it's required. There are only a couple monsters in the game that cannot be solo'd. I have yet to do this myself and will likely do it next.

3) Mage can be pretty broken if you pick some of the right spells - but you are pretty squishy if you miss.

5) You cannot unlock all of the specialities on one play through, and you certainly cannot play all of them yourself. Some you can give to the NPCs that accompany you, and since you can take them over at any time, you can play them all fairly easily.

6) There is an infinite money-loop in the game after a certain event; don't go for it! For whatever reason, if you exploit it too much, the save game files later get corrupted (this happened to me obviously).
@Asherax

havoq
Necrosis Officer

Postby havoq » 29 Nov 2009, 18:11

I'm playing through it now on PS3. Hated it for about the first 3 hours, but now I'm totally into it. The storytelling is what makes the game, as is usual for BioWare. The combat mechanics are not nearly as elegant as Mass Effect, in my opinion. The combat in Dragon Age is more "realtime" and I find myself having more trouble keeping my party on a leash, so to speak, than I have in other BioWare titles.

Still, in spite of its shortcomings, it's a really fun game and I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy RPGs. Also, I think game has a real Lord of Rings movie feel to it, which could be a plus or a minus depending on your perspective.

Taze
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Taze » 30 Nov 2009, 00:44

6) There is an infinite money-loop in the game after a certain event; don't go for it! For whatever reason, if you exploit it too much, the save game files later get corrupted (this happened to me obviously).

so uh what only exploit it 6-7 times? LOL
Forum has lost my sig twice now...
Playing SOTA with Jeeks, Naka, Galos and Wife
Playing Neverwinter With Liyandra on her Satellite I-Nets
Not playing much else, due to SOTA Early Release

Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Mishura Desante » 30 Nov 2009, 04:38

well, its intended and not - there's a place you can go after you save some people, and they're so grateful, they tell you to take what you want - well, there's a script that randomized what crystals you can get for shale (npc companion) when you go to a shop (cause they're not in random monster drops)

You can keep going back there and get more crystals, and sell em. I did this and made about 400gp; about an hour later, all my saves post that event were corrupted.

Know one knows why it corrupts the save games, but it does. They're not sure if its something bioware does, or something with the scripts / saving.
@Asherax

Dungeon Master
Peripheral Visionary

Postby Dungeon Master » 30 Nov 2009, 15:04

Punishment for being a cheater probably.
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))
The consumers came and unhappiness was treason.

shamen
Must be unemployed.

Postby shamen » 02 Dec 2009, 12:33

I'm playing it ATM, I quite like it - Definitely similar to SWKOTOR. The gameplay seems a bit dated compared to Fallout 3 - which i prefer overall but still worth a try.

It does take a few hours to get into though and it's tempting to skip through some of the cutscenes, but worth it if you stick it out.
Eve Online - The Shamen.
Robocraft - frenkyled

PSN - Frenkyled

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Sirex
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Sirex » 04 Dec 2009, 05:59

I enjoyed the Fade quest.

The game is alot like Diablo except you can pause. The combat can get frustrating at times as they dont seem to like sticking to a primary target. Some of the quests are a little boring and repetitive, even the ones that are part of the main story line. Make you walk around for ages to finish it. Like the Fade quest, was pretty annoying, but it was also kind of fun as the different "morphs" updated and you had to use different morp ability to find the next boss.

Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Mishura Desante » 04 Dec 2009, 06:45

You can change their tactics - its one of the options on their character screen;

such as attack my target, strongest, spellcaster, etc
you can also set them to do other things, like heal you below 40%, etc
@Asherax

Caal
Must be unemployed.

Postby Caal » 04 Dec 2009, 11:37

I played this through on the PC. This game was setup as being the spiritual successor to the Baulders Gate series although I think it plays a bit more like NWN. Definately worth buying if you've enjoyed those games in the past.

I know the game was designed with the PC in mind so between the two I'd always go with the PC version. Biggest tip I can give you is to stick your npc's onto the hold formation under the character portraits. That'll stop them running around like tards. I dont know if the console versions have anything similiar.

Griv
Forum Whore

Postby Griv » 12 Jan 2010, 14:18

Quality game!

Return to “Other Games”