Star Craft 2

Diablo 2, Wii, Xbox, RTS, FPS, etc.
havoq
Necrosis Officer

Star Craft 2

Postby havoq » 28 Jul 2010, 07:39

Anyone playing this yet? I picked it up today and I'm working my way through the campaign. Just wondering if any other Sekura members plan on doing online play. Maybe we can get a league going.

Phoenix
Site Admin

Re: Star Craft 2

Postby Phoenix » 28 Jul 2010, 15:15

I intend to play, I haven't decided the how I'm going to play just yet. Generally speaking my favorite way to play RTS is with friends at the house, lots of food, and more drinks. Any insight into crack ability/spawning/local servers would be great.

I will be buying at least one copy and will be on battle.net eventually, so we should definitely setup a UserID swap or guild/corp/team/whatever.
WoW/SWG/EVE/DAoC/DikuMUD --> Galos/Qasim/Dregian/Meridin
Discord --> PhoenixMT#5467, Steam --> PhoenixMT

Caal
Must be unemployed.

Postby Caal » 28 Jul 2010, 15:40

Well I wasn't going to buy this once I saw that it was retailing for more than normal but I succumbed to the hype and ordered it today (should arrive by Friday). I'm just hoping it'll play on my ageing machine!

Dave I think they've removed Lan play in this version and I imagine it'll be a long time until there are battle.net emulators out there but I could be wrong.

Not sure I'll be playing this one online and my internet connection is garbage at the moment until I switch ISP's.
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Dungeon Master
Peripheral Visionary

Postby Dungeon Master » 28 Jul 2010, 15:44

What the hell? No LAN play? That was one of the big draws for RTS to me. LAN parties are fun as hell.
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))
The consumers came and unhappiness was treason.

ahimah
Site Admin

Postby ahimah » 28 Jul 2010, 16:23

I'm interested in it, although I wasn't really a fan of the first game. The only time I played it was when I was at LAN parties with my buddies and during those times I had fun. From what I read a couple months back there is no actual LAN play in SC2. Even if you just want to play it with your buddy in the next room you both have to connect to Battle.net and set up a private match.

While I despise this method of copy protection, I also understand it to a degree. Back when we were playing SC on 5 computers at a LAN party we all loaded the game off of one guy's discs...

Phoenix
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » 28 Jul 2010, 18:22

ahimah (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))While I despise this method of copy protection, I also understand it to a degree. Back when we were playing SC on 5 computers at a LAN party we all loaded the game off of one guy's discs...
Explain how that's a bad thing...I'll bet money that 1/2 or 2/3rds of those guys owned copies at some point.

I have between 6 and 12 people over to my house for LAN parties. Usually a little over half of them are regular gamers and the rest just play games when they come to my house. They either have Mac laptops, which can play games OTB, or they borrow one of my kids computers. Now call it 8 of 12 people bring their own legitimate copies of each game of say 3 games we usually play in a given night. That makes $50x3x4=$600 fucking dollars we'd have to pay for 8 hours of gaming. Who's going to do that? In exchange they are potentially missing out on revenue due to the 8 regular gamers choosing to buy something else. Or worse yet, missing out on revenue due to new gamers. LAN parties...the gateway drug.

This doesn't even touch on the dilemma that I'm beginning to foresee. I love gaming, I'd love it even more if my kids could play with me. But I'm seriously forestalling pushing the matter because I'm not going to drop 2,3,4x the $$$ on every game I buy...especially not MMOs with monthly fees.

The old spawn a copy thing was very appropriate. I wish that was continued. Some sort of family pricing would also be a big help.

Taze
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Taze » 29 Jul 2010, 00:39

I dont mind buying 1,2, or even 5 copies to play with 5 friends at a house, but If I cant play with 3-4 friends on pcs at a house with 3-4 legal copies, I might not even bother with it.

Also I will probably wait till it's in the 39.95 range at least before I buy it
Forum has lost my sig twice now...
Playing SOTA with Jeeks, Naka, Galos and Wife
Playing Neverwinter With Liyandra on her Satellite I-Nets
Not playing much else, due to SOTA Early Release

Phoenix
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » 29 Jul 2010, 19:39

I was floored they wanted $60.00 for the *first* of three campaigns.

Caal
Must be unemployed.

Postby Caal » 29 Jul 2010, 22:09

Yeah Activision seem to be pricing all their AAA games at £40 / $60 at retail now which is shitty.

ahimah
Site Admin

Postby ahimah » 30 Jul 2010, 20:51

Taze
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Taze » 31 Jul 2010, 01:47

Stolen and posted on FB enjoy the irony
Forum has lost my sig twice now...
Playing SOTA with Jeeks, Naka, Galos and Wife
Playing Neverwinter With Liyandra on her Satellite I-Nets
Not playing much else, due to SOTA Early Release

Sirex
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Sirex » 01 Aug 2010, 01:14

Starcraft 2 is a peice of shit and so is Activision/Blizzard. Fuck that company. Fuck EA, fuck their bullshit. I will not be purchasing any games any more because I am sick and tired of the bullshit. These companies release bugged games, and the same old rehashed bullshit over and over and over again and stupid retards with nothing better to do gobble up their shit like its fucking gold.

GIve me a break. I played the SC2 beta for over 2 months and I got to say I was not impressed at all.

First, FUCKING LAG. What a fucking joke, its 2010 and a game from the fucking 90's (see starcraft 1) has better fucking netcoding then starcraft 2. Un-believable that a company that is working on this game for the last decade cant get that part right.

Second. Starcraft 2 offers nothing new over the original starcraft. Its exactly the same thing. The only difference is pretty graphics (WHICH are laughable, the graphics are nothing special and I would go as far as to say they are outdated.) The only difference is that some units have new names and new animations over the old units, but do the exat same thing.

This game fails, do not buy it.

Saltire
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Saltire » 02 Aug 2010, 01:05

yeah, the RTS zone is a bit shitty at the mo.

I think the last good strat game was empire:total war.

hopefully MS will pump out a new age of empires, maybe like a 1900-present type RTS.

Town Centre = capital city, farms/factories/mines etc. Tanks, nukes, carriers, steam power >> combustion engine.

That would be an awesome game, but maybe limted by choice of factions. (UK, US, Russia, China, Germany, Japan) (you wouldnt be able to play africa/india/south america, they are capturable colonies).

Vharc
You still here?

Postby Vharc » 02 Aug 2010, 15:36

I too was disappointed in this game. I played it for a couple days, maybe 8 hours total and had flashbacks to SC1 lan parties (which were a blast, dont get me wrong). I thought to myself "self, you just spent 60 bucks for SC1, with "better" graphics. you are an idiot".

Havent played it since...

I would also say if you havent bought it yet, dont. Go play SC1 and imagine slightly better graphics (like 2000-2001 graphics), and you will save yourself $60 and have the same experience.

The only time I'll play it now is if I'm REALLY bored, or at a lan party.
Xekk - Resto Sham

Either God wants to abolish evil and cannot, or he can but does not want to, or he cannot and does not want to, or lastly he can and wants to.

If he wants to remove evil, and cannot, he is not omnipotent;
If he can, but does not want to, he is not benevolent;
If he neither can nor wants to, he is neither omnipotent nor benevolent;
But if God can abolish evil and wants to, how does evil exist?

- Epicurus, 3rd century BCE

Dungeon Master
Peripheral Visionary

Postby Dungeon Master » 02 Aug 2010, 15:37

I'm a big fan of RTS, but haven't played anything new since AOE3.
The consumers came and unhappiness was treason.

Return to “Other Games”