Gears of War 2 (mild spoilers)

Diablo 2, Wii, Xbox, RTS, FPS, etc.
Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Gears of War 2 (mild spoilers)

Postby Mishura Desante » 10 Nov 2008, 22:25

First off, awesome game! A bit easier than the first game though. No more crazy hard bosses that can only be hit with the hammer, etc (actually hammer of light isnt even in the main game)

The multiplayer is much improved, with a few more weapons, skins, games, maps, etc.

The flamethrower is a bit of a disapointment though. doesn't really kill very quickly, and they have to get pretty close, at which point i'd rather have the lancer out. It is really designed around to spray and forget (for a few seconds). The mortar are a lot of fun, though i never quite got the knack of aiming them (I think i just got lucky). The ink bombs are also really cool (poison grenade), but i only found 2 in the entire main story.

The COG tag collection has been replaced with "Artifacts" which also give tips onto the back story. The ones at the warehouse are especially interesting.

and, mild spoiler alert
Watch through the end of the credits. Its not the finale. (Course, they also said that this was originally meant to be a trilogy. But when I first saw the ending, I was thinking, well, I guess they decided to leave it so you could call it a finale in case they couldnt make a third one...) They hint at things throughout the game (one twist rather cliche'd), which obviously "explains" things in the third game a la Halo.
Fleet Admiral Mishura Desante
@Asherax

Sirex
One of Us! One of Us!

Re: Gears of War 2 (mild spoilers)

Postby Sirex » 11 Nov 2008, 03:39

Ya good all around game, decent enough story. Carmines brothers voice is very annoying though and fills the cliche of "rook" to well, just makes it corny. I mean there wasn't much emotion out of his character regarding his brothers death.

The new weapons are cool, though I haven't used the flame thrower much. It seems to work really well against me though in online mode, yet i suck balls with it. all the other weapons are nice.

My only complaint(s) is that it seems as if what they did with Gears of War 2 online is make the lancer more potent, and deminsh the value of the shotgun. As in the first gears online shotgun mastery was above all else. But now its all lancer, and chainsaws. Maybe because the game is still young and people are still learning it, but there definately feels like a difference between the new shotgun and the old one.

Also Im not likeing the new match making service they implemented. Its a little slow to match games, and when someone drops in the game lobby room, it doesn't try to find anyone new, so youre stuck with 5 on 4. Which is retarded for a ranked match. Also doesn't allow you to really setup custom ranked matches, with a specified level, etc. Its all voter based, which Im not to happy about but meh, i guess u can host private matches.

Horde mode is good if u get matched up with people that aren't retards that think thye can take on 40 locust alone.

good game all around and ill be playing online lots.

my live gamertag is
sirex123

Neeps
Site Admin

Postby Neeps » 13 Nov 2008, 12:57

Hammer of Dawn is in the main game, though admittedly not much.

"JediNeeper" is my gamer tag if anyones online playing, I'm usually playing Horde or campaign on Insane in the evenings, just send me an invite if your playing something and need people.
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Jeeks
Unshakable

Postby Jeeks » 13 Nov 2008, 17:41

I wasn't sure if anyone would be playing this off the boards or not. DonkeySacrifce is my gamertag if anyone's intrested. Can be mainly found on Horde or Submission.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exagerated.

Please don't feed the troll. I'm currently not hungry.

Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Mishura Desante » 13 Nov 2008, 18:10

Neeps (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))Hammer of Dawn is in the main game, though admittedly not much.

Other than the final boss battle (which i don't count since its not a "regular" fight anyway), where was it?
Fleet Admiral Mishura Desante
@Asherax

Sirex
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Sirex » 13 Nov 2008, 18:32

at the crane part i believe, i cant remember 100% though.

Return to “Other Games”