Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero

Diablo 2, Wii, Xbox, RTS, FPS, etc.
Phoenix
Site Admin

Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero

Postby Phoenix » 24 Nov 2008, 17:36

So, I'm thinking of picking one of these up for my family. Unfortunately, my only console is the Wii so my options are limited. I'm looking for some input from those of you that own or have played these games. I believe these are my current options:

1.) Rock Band 1
2.) Guitar Hero: World Tour
3.) Wait for Rock Band 2

I'm absolutely set on getting the drums and vocals...that's a must have. How do these rate in relation to each other? I think I'd prefer original band music rather than cover band. Is either hardware more robust? Are there any significant differences in the track lists?
WoW/SWG/EVE/DAoC/DikuMUD --> Galos/Qasim/Dregian/Meridin
Discord --> PhoenixMT#5467, Steam --> PhoenixMT

Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Re: Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero

Postby Mishura Desante » 24 Nov 2008, 18:34

Phoenix (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))
I'm absolutely set on getting the drums and vocals...that's a must have.

Rock Band 2, without a doubt. Has the better drum kit. And if you want to shell out money for the real drum kit (like i did), then it is absolutely the only way to go. It also has a better and more established set of songs (up to 400 at this point).

I own RB2 and its often a hit of drunken revelry.

The tracklists are on Wiki, i'll find the links and post them in a second.

(I've owned Guitar hero 2 and 3 as well (no durms/vocals), and I just like the interface of RB2 better, but that's a stylistic choice. RB2 I find is also a bit more "forgiving" if your timing is just a touch off, plus it has a "no fail" mode for parties, etc).

I'll post a picture or two of my drum kit when i get home. Its the 300 custom job, but its just amazing to play with. Not sure if it will be available for the wii, but it is for ps2 and xbox, so i can't see why not.
Fleet Admiral Mishura Desante
@Asherax

Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Mishura Desante » 24 Nov 2008, 18:39

Oh, you may as well buy Rock band 1 as you have to buy it if you want to import the songs. Just be sure not to buy the kit / guitars that come with it, because the gear for rb2 was siginifcantly improved (the boxes all say rb2 and can be bought seperately).

Oh, and i'd say 95% of the songs are original recordings (some are live tracks, and only a few are covers)

As for tracklisting

Rock Band

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band (Included songs in 1)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so ... ock_Band_2 (included songs in 2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_do ... and_series (downloadable songs - bout 2 bucks each)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ro ... rack_packs (these are CDs released with downloadable content on them for those without internet; its here mainly for the AC/DC pack, which can only be bought at walmart, and not downloaded).

----

Guitar Hero WT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so ... World_Tour (included + downloadable)

the big advantage Guitar Hero WT has is that you can also create your own songs (sans vocals). dunno how well it works though. I will say this though, the drum kit for GHWT sucks.

---

and only because it bears mentioning

Rock Revolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Revolution
Last edited by Mishura Desante on 24 Nov 2008, 18:54, edited 3 times in total.
@Asherax

Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Mishura Desante » 24 Nov 2008, 18:41

Drum kit i have

http://www.drumrocker.com/

(it will also be sold for wii when released
http://www.getinthemix.co.uk/Nintendo-W ... Rocker.htm)
@Asherax

Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Mishura Desante » 24 Nov 2008, 19:09

BTW, just be forewarned, this game ends up being a serious investment. (this is for xbox)

RB 1 - $40
RB 2 - $60
AC/DC pack - $35
2 Guitars - $70 each
Drum kit - (i think $60, can't remember)
Mic - $20

Custom Drum kit - $350
Downloaded songs - i'd say bout $200 so far (about 100 songs)

---

As you can see, i've already spent over 900 on this game. Good lord. I didnt realize i'd spent that much. Course, that's over the past year or so, but i find it fun and addictive.

Also, the guitars are nothing like real guitars, and teach you nothing other than eye-hand coordination. The drum kit (so i'm told) actually does translate to real drums (somewhat), so you could actually learning basic drumming out of this.
@Asherax

Phoenix
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » 24 Nov 2008, 23:08

Re: Real Guitar Comments...

I can't believe people even bring this up. This is a game that you play with friends to have a good time while listening to some great music.

Basically this is a party game I can get Heather into ;)

Phoenix
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » 24 Nov 2008, 23:13

Mishura (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))Rock Band 2, without a doubt.
I'm under the impression that Rock Band 2 isn't out for the Wii yet...is that correct?

Mishura Desante
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Mishura Desante » 25 Nov 2008, 01:58

Phoenix (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))Re: Real Guitar Comments...

I can't believe people even bring this up. This is a game that you play with friends to have a good time while listening to some great music.

Basically this is a party game I can get Heather into ;)

They Do, its crazy. And FYI i bought my first real electric guitar today - lessons start saturday.

Phoenix (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))
Mishura (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))Rock Band 2, without a doubt.
I'm under the impression that Rock Band 2 isn't out for the Wii yet...is that correct?

Correct. Dec 30th. However, you can buy RB1 and all the RB2 peripherals, and then just buy the game disk when it comes out. I reccomend this action. The games themselves are very similar, so buying RB2 will only add about 100 songs to your repretoire as well as the "no fail" mode. Otherwise, games really are the same.
@Asherax

Return to “Other Games”