Forum has lost my sig twice now...
Playing SOTA with Jeeks, Naka, Galos and Wife
Playing Neverwinter With Liyandra on her Satellite I-Nets
Not playing much else, due to SOTA Early Release

Phoenix
Site Admin

Re: lvl 60 wiz builds and calculators

Postby Phoenix » 04 Sep 2012, 20:18

So, I'm now up to the point of min/max'ing my Wizard for Inferno. I've improved massive amounts since I hit 60 (late last week.) But I'm looking for advice, especially post 1.0.4 advice.

Based on Taze's post above, I've tried two major builds Arcane Kiting and Hydra/Blizzard Kiting.

I found this blog on the 1.0.4 update:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6939564
Which states that all the Hydra's are supposed to be semi-equalized now. I've played a fair amount (3-4 days) with Arcane Hydra. I can say, its an amazing amount of damage. I recently tried Venom hydra (<1 day), I found it does good damage to monsters standing still, but the venom circle is so small that its hard to keep them in it/kite them through it. I'm going to stick with Venom (18%/sec) for another day or two, but my preference for now is still Arcane (60% wep dam).

All of that said, I can do a "enough" damage. My bigger problem really has to do with survival. Kiting is fine for most mobs, but 10-20% of the elites I hit...literally kick the living shit out of me. Teleporting/Vortex/Firey Path/etc. just seem to find a way to 2 hit me.

I've played with Blur (which I think is crap), diamond skin (only absorbs about 2 hits) and teleport (fracture). So far I like Teleport (fracture) best because it both gets me out and gives the mobs something other than me to chew on (allowing me to stop running and shoot). I've settled on Illusionist (>15% damage CD reset on teleport and diamond skin) as a necessity. I'm open to other lines of thought.

I have done some pretty major re-gearing as I'm struggling a lot. I've dropped most all of my Magic Find in return for +RA, +vit, and +%life. I've also made a point of snagging +%life_steal (so far I'm not sold.) I'm interested in peoples perspective on +life_on_hit (LoH) vs. life_steal vs. regen. I need something because those 15-35% hits are adding up and potions just have too long a cooldown.

I found this source on LoH proc rates...it sounds like Hydra and Blizzard are *not* well match to LoH.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/ ... 265?page=1
It seems like the spells are specifically designed to not let you get "free" LoH without standing and firing your spells manually. This seems like sound game design, but I thought I'd check with you guys too.

So that was a massive post with far more than I intended to cover. Please feel free to just grab a single point and comment. Thanks for any help.
WoW/SWG/EVE/DAoC/DikuMUD --> Galos/Qasim/Dregian/Meridin
Discord --> PhoenixMT#5467, Steam --> PhoenixMT

Phoenix
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » 04 Sep 2012, 20:33

WoW/SWG/EVE/DAoC/DikuMUD --> Galos/Qasim/Dregian/Meridin
Discord --> PhoenixMT#5467, Steam --> PhoenixMT

Taze
One of Us! One of Us!

Postby Taze » 04 Sep 2012, 20:48

my new opinion is

Int, Resist All, Life on/per Hit (LoH)Crit Chance, Vitality(or life%)

Priority in that order

with 650 LoH and prismatic and my resist gear im now pushing 800-900 resists,
I am able to tank inferno bosses, i couldnt even get two hits on before.

Note LoH is NOT the same as Life Drain/Vampire type things, not the same at all.

You utilize things like venom hydra and stationary whilrwind, and blade with deep cuts etc your look for things with lots of attacks aka not a big nuke for XXXX but several hits at XX each, as each hit of the dot, the whirlwind, the poison pool of hydra, etc, give you a chance to 1) crit, and 2) each hit is a LoH for health

You use the critical mass with your best armor and frost nova so each time one of those little dots and whirlwind and such crits it knocks a second off your cooldowns so when its all said and done you stand there spamming your armor, frost nova, whirlwinds, blades or lightning strikes, and venom hydra and you tank as a wizzard
Forum has lost my sig twice now...
Playing SOTA with Jeeks, Naka, Galos and Wife
Playing Neverwinter With Liyandra on her Satellite I-Nets
Not playing much else, due to SOTA Early Release

Phoenix
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » 06 Sep 2012, 21:56

A quick post while on mobile. max critical by slot:

Max Crit Chance From non-legendary gear: 49.5%

Amulet: 8.5%
Ring: 4.5% (x2)
Bracer: 6%
Gloves: 10%
Helm: 6%
Shield: 10%

Any suggestions on what the min crit threshold should be for a CDR wizard?

I've found that LoH, Int, RA gear is expensive. Adding crit and some vit makes it unreasonable. Any suggestion for slot distribution?

Return to “Strategy”